Thread: Colour harmonies, dischords, contrasts and complimentries. Sacred or divine geometry and colour.

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts

Colour harmonies, dischords, contrasts and complimentries. Sacred or divine geometry and colour.

Hi, I was indecisive on which place to pop this thread in, so here it is in general.

I recently started a few projects I have been meaning to get around to and decided to use a drawing of some of it as an avatar pic. It is exciting to be using this formula of colour again, and I think it is quite a magical thing to experience and understand.

When talking about colour and line and tone there's a correlation in language terms, to music. You can find yourself saying things like; harmony, tone, dischord, volume, transparency, rhythm, in tune, melody.

I will find some more photo's or links at some point but for now there it this drawing which is a close up of the second image.

So the first is this image, 18 colours around a 'one'. It might be white, but this is talking more about transparency and mediums of transparency, like water in paint. ...Which is a good analogy as you can also apply acknowledgement of solid liquid gas also if you chose to. But it also could be light.

Anyway, I don't want to make much of a big complicated review of this, for some it will open up a bit of a world of description, and it would be nice to hear a few responses if there be any wishing to be shared.

So to describe the layout. The 3 primary colours and the 3 secondary colours, (all in a form of being 50/50 'diluted'), surround the center.
    Around this, the 3 primary, the 3 secondary, and the 6 tertiary colours sit in their respective places, mixed to the value relative to their positions with each other. They can be 100% colour.

In the hexagon wheel that is created, if you chose any colour at any point anywhere on the wheel, the colour which is opposite it on the wheel, same distance and all, will be the colour's complimentary colour. When you get these two colours to be the exact right hues, and the same tones, they interact together and cause an optical buzz. (This relates make to moire patterns as well. Black and white are complimentary colours, optical art is often made in black and white. See. Bridget Reilly.)
    The way that striped prints of fabric on TV can make the camera record it 'buzzing'?
    So when you choose a discord or complimentary set of colours, you can weave them together in a pattern or tessellation of just the 2, say Blue and Orange. The uniformity of the pattern and the playoff of buzzing made by the edges of divisions between the colours can create a field, a void. Especially if you put on 3D glasses..

Anyway, this is the rule book drawing of how the colours are balanced in harmony with their opposites and when in the form of 18 around 1 all work to allow that balance to vibrate as it does. It is set on conceptualizing multiple dimensions.
    The hexagon wheel could be rotated 180 degrees, and it would merge into the background and all be one. (But the background would follow the hexagon wouldn't it? )

Oh that is the other thing. When a real object casts a shadow, the shadow will usually be made up of the colour of that object's complimentary. This is easier to see in conditions where the object has strong enough colour and the shadow is on a nice neutral surface ...(because yes the properties of other things and their colours start trading in the sequence too.

Ok, I am probably making it sound too confusing, by jumping about with brief notes. Here's the second image, where a dodecahedron that is transparent, is made visible by seeing its method of construction/extention, in the points, which are coloured relative to their position radiating out from the background field.

In this extension from the plane of the original, white has been used in the field to symbolise how such an extension off of the original plane would work.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

bsbray (25th August 2015), Cearna (25th August 2015), Dreamtimer (25th August 2015), idigress (25th August 2015), modwiz (25th August 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,042 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Hi Nothing, I am not an artist but had to teach the theory of colour to my students doing advanced or 3rd level Textiles and Design. This I won't go into but what is so immense, is the gentian link, to all you have done so far here.Your Soul is in many rows of extreme impulses which correlate to the eighteen colours of the brain as well. This world cannot use more than these - fear stops us, from knowing more than the first ones in the field know. The lack of linear sight, tangles light to only see if everyone else sees things.

Think plane surface and you will link only to plane surface, think shimmering in Lights and more colours will emerge, think opalescent, pearlescent, diamond, emeralds, saphires - these gems, give you more solid beautiful links to gifted sight, for I am in jeopardy of having no one see these colours other than a few. I can't stop lights coming on into you, but I can give you the experience of seeing in multi level lights in colours, then you will see if gentian needs to be included in your colour wheel. Like every one else I find my own rightful colours, and I get help from a pendulum - try it one day and see if it works on your soul, for some lights resonate in a particular frequency which gives you, your something in joy.

Last edited by Cearna, 25th August 2015 at 09:10.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cearna For This Useful Post:

enjoy being (26th August 2015), idigress (25th August 2015), modwiz (25th August 2015)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Thank you for sharing. I love working with colors. I crochet and just taught myself (with the help of some you tube videos) to knit. I love working with different colors, especially variegated yarns.

I plan on starting some visual art once I have a working area set up.

I look forward to more of your beautiful work. Thanks!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Cearna (26th August 2015), enjoy being (26th August 2015), modwiz (25th August 2015)

In Memoriam United States
    Thanks
    Art is a right brain activity, one of the few on this planet. If you continue to try to jam it into a left brain activity for a forum, you will miss the heavenly exchange beyond words.

If you are drawing and it becomes too intellctual, try drawing with your other hand. Eventually you will connect with something beyond yourself. You will begin to be able to do your art with a fluid self assurance. If you keep your work and review it periodically you will see various themes you were working on and as your work changes, you will know you conquered? completed? a theme without words.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny For This Useful Post:

Cearna (26th August 2015), enjoy being (26th August 2015), idigress (26th August 2015), modwiz (26th August 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,042 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by grannyfranny View Post
    Art is a right brain activity, one of the few on this planet. If you continue to try to jam it into a left brain activity for a forum, you will miss the heavenly exchange beyond words.

If you are drawing and it becomes too intellectual, try drawing with your other hand. Eventually you will connect with something beyond yourself.
    This reminded me of something my Reiki Master, had us do when I went for the 2nd level, This was to clasp your hands together, then note which thumb is on top - the left or the right? If it is your left thumb over the top of your right one, then - she maintained you were left handed, if the right one on top you were right handed. My result was to have the left on top, although I use my right hand - so she made me draw all the symbols with my left hand, it felt like I was back in kindergarten, as I drew, I had to use my tongue to help me do it, and my head felt like I had to turn everything upside down before I could work out how to do it, very upsetting. When I asked my mother about it - because she was mainly left handed and used it for some things, but used the right hand for others, like cutting with scissors - she said that if I picked anything up with my left hand to use, she swapped it to my right hand, because when I grew up no one was allowed to be left handed, it didn't fit the system. so - by doing what you suggest, there may be some latent left handed people, who just didn't know it, and this might help them to use both sides of the brain, more adequately.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cearna For This Useful Post:

enjoy being (26th August 2015), idigress (26th August 2015)

In Memoriam United States
    Thanks
    Cearna,

There are morning that I start doing things with my left hand and then remember my mother switching me like you mentioned. I just tried it and Your teacher is right! Thanks.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny For This Useful Post:

Cearna (26th August 2015), enjoy being (26th August 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Hi, thanks all for the responses. Just a note, this is not my 'artwork' so to speak. The images are basically of a diagram or map. Really it is a sketch of a diagram. The outline of each circle could just be drawn in the complimentary colour of the background. Within the diagram is a series of formulas on colour mixing or where colour sits in the spectrum, and how each one's harmonic chromatic opposite is found.

But that from the diagram one can also see a little way back into the camera of the eye while the shutter is open.
    Because of the notion that the 180 degree flip of colours and how that relates to being the same colours as in photographic negatives... and how the human eye flips things upside down.. 180 degrees. ...And then, how the pineal gland deals in images with photonic light/ is definably a third eye, the minds eye. So this a form of diagram of some of the mechanics of this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Cearna (26th August 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Although in the danger of confusing the situation more, here is a different version repeated in tiles where the logic repeats to create mirrored alternate dimensions of the 'original'. so it is basically a fractal. Which we know, light is a fractal some how. But this in diagram form, sort of shows it.

Last edited by enjoy being, 26th August 2015 at 12:50. Reason: edit to add images with black and with white backgrounds.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Cearna (26th August 2015)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Thanks for the further explanation, Nothing.

If I tried to draw with my left hand I would certainly feel like a child again and my work would reflect that. When I try to do things with my left hand, i.e. throw a frisbee, I have to imagine clearly in my mind how my right hand does it and then translate that mental image of the process to my left hand. It's as much a mental exercise as a physical one.

Interestingly, the left handed or continental style of knitting is the one I have chosen to develop. It's faster than the standard yarn throwing method. I can't pick with my right finger. I believe it's in part a result of years of crocheting. I tension the yarn with the left hand and work the hook with the right. It's a very similar action with left-hand knitting.

My aunt tells stories about her mother switching things to her right hand. She was fine with everything except scissors. She refused the scissors. Because of her 'training' to use her right hand she is somewhat ambidextrous.

I recall as a child there were left-handed scissors for some kids and how 'barbaric' it seemed that people used to force a child to use the right hand if they were left-handed. At the time they were still using corporal punishment in schools.

I hope this left/right commentary is not too far off topic.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Cearna (27th August 2015), enjoy being (27th August 2015), nurseratchet (30th August 2015)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    When I was in kindergarten, I would use whichever hand was convenient. Except I didn't use scissors with my left hand. When I first got contact lenses, as an adult, the optician was appalled that I used my right hand for my right lens, and my left hand for my left lens. I was just doing what feels normal for me. I still do a lot of things left handed. I think I'm about 55% right handed, and 45% left handed.